Monday, June 24, 2013

To market!

Sundays in CB means: FARMER'S MARKET!  Needless to say I'm excited. :)

I arrive just as it's getting underway, and I make a precursory lap around the entire market.  I see quite a variety of desirables such as beets, onions, potatoes, herbs,  pickles, squash, radishes, and a few veggies I didn't recognize.  I wish there had been more fruit. Maybe it's still too early??

There were also food vendors that served wood fired pizzas (on the spot!), kebabs, cupcakes, popsicles,  artisian cheeses, wine, and a variety of loaves of bread.  I found a small flower vendor who sold bunches of flowers and grabbed a $10 bundle for my abode (god it could use some color!).

In total, I bought some dried cherries, local honey, ground beef from a local farm, a loaf of orange poppyseed tea cake, beets, and kale.  Yum!!!


























 After the market I visited the Bellvue building where the ASC was hosting a gallery showing.  The camping trip I'd helped pack for on Thursday also served as a photography class.  The clients took pictures after a photography lesson, and then each chose his or her favorite pictures to display at Bellvue.   I met with each client briefly and asked them why they chose their specific photos and the like.  Each person seemed to have a great sense of pride in their work, and each seemed like they'd had a blast camping.  We ended the show with a game of bocce ball; so fun!

I drove up to Lake Irwin to fish.  On my way I was buzzed by a hawk that was so close to my passenger window he might as well have been holding a squeegee and a bottle of windex!  He flew into a pine tree and startled a young male mule deer out of hiding.  Talk about a sighting! I will say that it's been a loong time since I drove up there to fish, and I was reserved because the only thing I've ever caught there was a moldy dog toy.  For real.  See below (fyi, I was 18 and on my first solo travel experience with my bestie in this picture):

But, perseverance won out, and I caught a rainbow trout!  That was all I got, but I was happy just casting.  It was a cold, partly cloudy day, and with the wind blowing through the pines I felt peaceful.












I ended the day with a pizza from the Secret Stash.  They've just reopened in a new and improved (and 3xs larger) location.  I feel a bit nostalgic for the old house turned pizza parlor, but I was happy to see them succeeding.  I ordered the Kaladi's Favorite which has yellow and green summer squash, roasted garlic cloves, red bell peppers, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, marinara sauce, and mozzarella.  I always add sausage to it, and get ranch for my crust.  Mmmmmm... delicious as always!   Then it was time to go home and relax, with my tasty leftovers to keep me company. ;)  


 

1 comment:

  1. I want this day!! That market looks fantastic--let me know how the local meat is :) Congrats on the trout--it's a beauty!!

    (I think I caught one during that whole trip to CB!)

    ReplyDelete