Thursday, June 20, 2013

Adaptive Sports Center

Hello again, friends!  I've been meeting various people around town which is making the loneliness much more tolerable. Today was my first day visiting the ASC Check 'em out!, and I met a lovely group of interns.  My guide around the shop today was a girl named Robbie.  She's from New York, born and raised, and this is her first summer in Crested Butte.  I also met the volunteer coordinator, Pat who happens to own a seven month-old corgi that visits the shop from time to time (squeal!).  I got my work schedule for next week, but sadly it's not a lot of what they call "Program" work.  Programs are what they call the outdoor adventures with the clients.  For right now I'm learning the ropes around the 2 ASC locations and signing up to volunteer at their big fund raising events this sumer.

The first event is the 24 hour Townie bike ride through town on June 29-30.  I'll be directing bike traffic as they ride through intersections.  We can't close off car traffic, so I'm only allowed to direct the bikes.  People register to ride and get sponsors in order to raise money for the ASC.  A lot of people ride the full 24 hours, those crazy, awesome folks.  I'm also looking forward to volunteering for the CB Open, a big golf tournament that raises the most money for the ASC altogether.  The ASC gives all inclusive scholarships to people with special needs so that they don't even have to pay for their plane ticket.  Incredible generosity right there.

I'm hoping to get on a regular schedule for going out on programs. On Thursday I meet with Pat again to schedule my program volunteer work.  Until then I'll be doing my usual stuff like hiking, fishing, photography, etc.  I'm hoping to take a few art classes and/or sports.  I did meet a girl named Nell (who has my number), and expressed interest in going hiking with me.  She's just moved to CB, and lives just down the street from me.  Hooray for new friends!  We're planning on hiking next week, woohoo!

Last night I went to the community school here in Crested Butte to play ultimate frisbee.  Now, for anyone who knows me very well you know that I tend to throw frisbees like they're magnetically attracted to trees.  Luckily for me and the others who played, the trees around the field were sparse.  I met six new people: Michael (the guy who lives for ultimate frisbee), Drew (my impromptu frisbee throwing teacher), Sebastian (the guy who works at a psychiatric office in Gunnison), Kate (the girl who paints houses and loves to canoe and kayak), and Scott (the guy whose wife is coming to ultimate on Monday and is a beginner like me, YAY!).  Hopefully more people will show up next time so that we can play the game.  Not that I'm complaining, I probably needed the two hours of throwing practice. :)

I ended the night by driving up Gothic as the sun was going down.  I met a group of horses that were snacking by the fence.  I also met a little female mule deer, little sweetheart.  When I got home I spoke to Steve on the phone for a while, and was fortunate enough to hear Linus purring into the phone.  Sweet boys. <3 Great night...






No comments:

Post a Comment