Today we ate breakfast at a little diner next to our hotel. We charted my drive to Crested Butte following 285 South, 50 West, and 135 North all the way to Crested Butte. I was a bit of a mess dropping Steve off at the airport. It's funny how I've become so used to putting him on planes and missing him while he's away from home, but now that it's my turn to be away it brought me to sobs. I felt like I was in a lamaze class driving out of Denver.
The drive to Crested Butte was surprisingly beautiful. It was a new route for part of the way, but I was happy to see that the drivers on that highway were courteous and safe. Quite a change after the crazies in Denver! I drove through a few afternoon storms with heavy rain and lightning. In a town called Jefferson a bolt of lightning hit in a field next to my car and started smoking. Luckily the fire fighters rushed to the scene and put it out with the help of the rain.
After about 5 hours I finally made it to Crested Butte! As I enter the valley I like to listen to Fleet Foxes' song "Ragged Wood"; it's a tradition of mine. Here's the song It's such an amazing feeling of coming home, driving back into that town. The beauty is indescribable.
I met my Dad and his wife Michele for a Father's Day dinner at Lil's Land and Sea. Yummy! It was a very fun evening with family. Then it was off to bed.



Aww, bye Steve!!
ReplyDeleteThat must have been an amazing drive indeed :) Remember when we drove from Colorado Springs to CB with NO MUSIC! Well, I think we may have used a laptop in desperation for a bit...hahahaha :D