And thank goodness I didn't! It was a stunning drive! I'd done it before with Steve on our way to Colorado Springs. You follow highway 50 along the Blue Mesa lake/recreational park.
Umm...I want a boat! (Never thought I'd say that)
It was a really relaxing drive along the lake, past the dam, through the red rock canyon, and out the other side of the range. Montrose looks like a dreary place from highway 50, but once inside the town it's really cute. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to live there (c'mon, like I'd settle for an hour and a half away from my Mecca?!), it's just nice.
I found the tire shop, and sho 'nuff I had to replace the whole tire. Boo! Luckily they'd already received my replacement tire and it would only take a half hour to put on. In the meantime, I was kept company by an itty bitty pit bull pup and "her baby". They were so cute! The pup kept circling her baby, licking his ears. Then when she got tired she curled up in the car seat. :D
Later, as I drove home, I spotted a herd of big horn sheep who'd come down from the valley walls to drink from the Blue Mesa lake. I wish I could've stopped to get a picture, but on that one lane highway with minuscule shoulders it wasn't going to happen. Just imagine 15 or more big horn sheep drinking from a deep blue lake, surrounded by layered, rainbow colored valley walls. Stunning!
As I got back into my Mecca, I stopped at dad's cabin again for buffalo steaks. While we sat eating, Michele spotted a big horn sheep up on the Taylor canyon wall. He stood, only a shadow against the sunset...I am back home. <3










What a beautiful lake!!!
ReplyDelete